Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Music for Middle-Schoolers

This morning I (Annie) was honored with the title of "guest composer" in the music room at St. Boniface middle school. The 4th, 5th and 6th graders are learning about composers and Mrs. Hasser the music teacher has broken away from the thought that "composer"= "classical" (="boring" to most kids that age.) It was a real treat! I played 3 original songs and one non-original song to give them all a taste of Bob Dylan, and they were SO attentive and interested. They asked really great questions and were so easy to talk to. Some were more interested in the music writing process while others showed more interest in the performing aspect of songwriting, but everyone was so great! I gave Kim all the credit where it was due, going on about how HE taught me how to play banjo and mandolin and more good songs than I ever would've learned on my own, etc.

So anyway, it was an interesting morning and a really fun experience.

In performance news, we might have a November 2nd date coming up; I'll keep you posted.

No comments: